Monday, June 23, 2014

Pruning

A couple of weeks ago we had a Sunday night service at church with evangelist Gayle Brostowski. It was the first time I've been able to be in an entire service for a while. I was really looking forward to it, Gayle is an awesome preacher.

A note about Gayle. She has a type of bone cancer and seems to be constantly getting see-saw like reports from the doctors. One time it's encouraging others it's less. But her faith and commitment to the gospel remains strong despite this exhausting battle her body rages. She continues to be an inspiration to myself and countless others. 

During that service I felt The Lord speak to my heart. He told me that I was entering a season of pruning. I immediately went to John 15:2 where Jesus says, "He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. (John 15:2 NLT)" Not the most encouraging of scriptures at first glance. 

The Lord gave me a heads up on the process He was leading me through. He gave me a viewpoint to look at the next couple of personally trying weeks from. Yes they have been difficult. Yes they have been emotionally and physically exhausting. But the purpose is to reshape me so I can me more effective at this incredible calling He has for my life. 

I've been rejected and ignored. But realized I was looking to the wrong source for approval (2 Corinthians 10:18). I've opened up and been more vulnerable than I have in years. But in doing so more of the heart Christ has given me has been brought to the service. 

I have no clue where I am in this pruning season. I have a feeling it's still at the beginning. But I know, without a shadow of doubt, that the purpose is to be more like Him, so I can do more for Him. 

It's funny how we expect the will of God to be filled with warm fuzzies. That's not always the case, just ask Gayle. But there is a peace. A peace in knowing that there is a purpose to this all. 

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11 NLT)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome...I will meditate on these words of wisdom. Prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, although tough, what a privilege to know God is pruning you because of your usefulness! Better pruned than cut off! God bless!

    ReplyDelete